Saturday, June 6, 2009

California, My Dream Destination


California is the complete state. It has everything - desert and seaside, tidal marshes and mountains, flat plains and rolling hills. I was amazed at the variety of trees and flowers and the landscaping in some areas was truly inspired. And some of the landscaping was done by nature- explosions of ornage and purple at the roadside showed off poppies and lupine. The pines on the mountainsides seemed never-ending. The Avenue of the Giants inspired absolute awe and the silence in which to contemplate it. I would love to come back to do a more detailed study of all that I have seen.

The climate, for the most part, was excellent. Coming from the Philippines where the weather is hot, hotter and raining torrentially, it was so refreshing. The rolling fog covered the landscape with mystery.

We were also impressed with the friendliness and courtesy extended by just about everybody that we dealt with (except for 1 or 2 motel owners). Service was given cheerfully. How refreshing! The roads and streams were not filled with garbage. Drivers yielded the right of way, sort of unthinkable back home where nobody wants to give way and every square inch of road is occupied. My son Rob asked me if people back home yielded to ambulances. I said usually not as there is absolutely no place to pull over.

California is so blessed with natural beauty. We drove many miles without seeing evidence of human habitation except for the road we were driving on. Such luxury!

Our trip took 21 days. We drove 2,501 miles in our Prius and averaged 46.6 mpg. If I had it to do over again, I would try to spend double the time so that I could stop and enjoy the sights and views longer; do a few sketches for future paintings.

If the Buddhists are correct, I wish to spend my next life in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment